The only online resources that guide you through the process of changing your name and gender are a few personal anecdotes/experiences shared by some trans folks. To save you some time and trouble, I’ve compiled this guide based on my own experiences. There are three steps involved in changing your name and gender legally. Specifically, 1. Get An Affidavit 2. Advertise in the newspaper 3. The Gazette should be notified.
- Get An Affidavit
Anyone who wishes to change their name or gender can obtain an affidavit from a notary public. Normally, they charge around 300 rupees. Here is a sample affidavit you can use.
- Publish Newspaper Advertisement
To place an ad in an area newspaper, choose one and submit the affidavit. You can also do this online at http://www.releasemyad.com. Choose a newspaper that is less popular if you are looking to do it discreetly, as it will help you save a few bucks too, in addition to doing it discreetly. It is estimated that the cost of the advertisement will range from 300 to 500 rupees. Here is a template that I have attached so that you can have a better idea of what the Ad will look like
- Notify in The Gazette
Last but not least, the change of name and gender must be notified in the gazette. A gazette serves as an official publication of the government. Gazettes are published by the state and federal governments. Although either of the gazettes can be used to notify, many governmental and semi-governmental institutions prefer the Gazette of India. Part-IV of the Gazette of India generally contains advertisements and public notices from private individuals. In this article, I will describe how to notify a change of name and gender in the Gazette of India. Due to the landmark NALSA ruling by the Supreme Court, there is no need for surgery or treatment to change the gender. Please submit the following forms/items for the gazette notification.
- An affidavit of change of name and gender that has been notarized from step 1
- A signed undertaking by the applicant
- A copy of the original newspaper
- Two witnesses must sign the applicants’ prescribed proforma, duly typed.
- A CD containing the print matter without the witness portion in MS Word with the name typed in place of the signature.
- A self-attested photocopy of your ID proof and two self-attested passport size photographs.
- The applicant’s signed certificate stating that both the hard copy and the soft copy contain the same information.
- It is necessary to submit a letter of request along with the requisite fee (Rs.1400 if you are submitting your request in person or a demand draft drawn in favor of the controller of publications payable at Delhi if you are sending it through the post)
- Copy of medical document (GD certificate or SRS certificate) that has been attested.
- For those who have had SRS, here is a sample form for changing their gender (it’s not mandatory)
The documents can either be submitted in person or sent via post or courier. You will rarely get a response if you submit the forms personally (it takes less time to process) rather than by mail. Forms sent through post/courier would take at least two months to process. On gazette.nic.in, the gazette is normally available for download every Saturday.
Also Read: How to Change Gender in Aadhar Card
If you are sending your request by mail, please address it to:
The Controller of Publication,
Department of Publication,
Behind Vidhan Sabha,
Civil Lines, Delhi-110054.
Please visit deptpub.nic.in for more information about the Gazette of India
Once you finish all the three steps, with the copies of affidavit, newspaper Ad, and the gazette notification, you can change other IDs like PAN, Aadhaar, Voter card, Company ID, etc.
With the help of this Gazette Notification, even educational certificates can be changed. Through the VTU name correction form, you can apply for name and gender changes for degree certificates issued by Visvesvaraya Technological University in Karnataka. In order to enroll at VTU, you must pay the relevant fees online and submit your completed application through your college.